[Libre-soc-dev] IIT Roorkee 2021 OpenPOWER Workshop,

Lauri Kasanen cand at gmx.com
Sat Jul 17 05:45:24 BST 2021

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 10:54:43 -0600
Richard Wilbur <richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder whether we could get an OMI-lite version of the spec. which could still replace our DDR phy, et cetera?

Businesswise a custom memory standard will not fly. Even if you're only
making 800Mhz 180nm RAM, it's going to be expensive as hell, limited
volume, and made only by you. The market will say "lol no".

RAM is only cheap because of the vast volumes. Even the OMI RAM is
going to be expensive, made only at a single place, hard to order...
And that's with IBM's order volumes.

- Lauri