[Libre-soc-dev] New Contributor to the Project

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 22 12:25:43 GMT 2021

hi giacomo, welcome: apologies i only just saw this because it went
into moderation (post by a non-member), and the list-owner messages
retrospectively i deduce they've been marked as spam *sigh*.  anyway,
got there now: do join the list to avoid this in future.

in the meantime anyone replying please explicitly cc giacomo.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 12:05 PM giacomo alberini <giacomoalbe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi dear LibreSOC developers!
>
> My name is Giacomo Alberini, I'm a passionate Open Source enthusiast,
> primarily working as a Full Stack Web Developer.

nice to hear from you.

> I found the LibreSOC project while I was looking for an open GPU card,
> since I wanted to build a completely open source and open hardware video
> streaming setup and I wanted to check how deep one could go with
> performance optimization.

pretty far :)

> I'm a Junior Electronic and Telecommunication Engineer, I graduated with a
> thesis on serial PWM photography sensor for which I developed the VHDL FPGA
> core, the Python/C firmware and the Python desktop software for acquiring
> images and setting up the system.

interesting!  the reason i say that is because we use nmigen:
https://nmigen.info/nmigen/latest/

> I want to start this new adventure in CPU/GPU design, I found it very
> interesting and stimulating, in particular because of the parallel and
> concurrent nature of the "programming style" and because I'm fascinated by
> the performance that can be achieved through hardware.

remember that performance is inherently traded for power consumption though :)

> I read all the "introductory" documents and related stuff on the website,
> but I don't think I would consider myself "ready" to become a member of the
> list, well, at least not yet :)

:)  a trick i have found is to join a list but switch off "receipt of
mail".  then, if you look at a page archive, there's a mailto link at
the top.  click that and it opens up your mailer, you can reply to the
list without receiving any of the messages:
http://lists.libre-soc.org/pipermail/libre-soc-dev/2021-January/001868.html

the other way, to be less "formal" if you know what i mean, is to join
the #libre-soc freenode channel.

> I hope to get some feedback and some hints from you members, I'm pretty
> skilled with programming and Linux usage in general, I'm an avid Vim user
> and generally I love the GNU way-of-thinking, so I think I'm in the right
> place, I just need to get accustomed at "how you do things" here.

standard libre development.  list bugtracker irc git.

> I'd like to get my hands dirty on something, but I don't know where and
> what to start with.

well, we really need help with the HDL: that's in nmigen, we'll be
happy to walk you through the tutorials etc.

i had to write a FAQ for that https://libre-soc.org/nlnet/#faq

> I think I've nothing more to say, I hope I've introduced myself as clearly
> as possible and I hope to start giving back to the project as soon as
> possible!

let's work it out.

> Thanks again for your time and patience!

no problem, thanks for reaching out.

best,