[Libre-soc-dev] project development policy for commits

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 19:26:13 GMT 2021

On December 9, 2021 3:54:55 PM UTC, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

>From what I could tell, the SPR bug was present before I modified
>anything
>and wasn't affected by my modifications -- hence why I left it to you.

clearly it was not, because the unit tests worked yesterday and did not this morning.

what this tells me is that you have not even been running the unit tests, and that your knowledge of the state of the project and codebase is deeply lacking, which is even more alarming when we have only about three and a half months until a critical NGI POINTER deadline.

your immediate reaction should not have been in any way "this must never have been working"

even if it was, your immediate reaction should have either been:

* this breaks, i don't know if it was what i did, let me just check but don't push it just in case, and investigate

* i have been running unit tests, they worked before, now they don't, therefore i *know* i broke it and therefore should not push it.

either way the conclusion should have been the same.

imagine if two (or more!) people had exactly the same "yeah it must be broken therefore i don't have to take responsibility" attitude (i have seen the effects on codebases and morale when this occurs), one or more people commit code that breaks, triaging that is a total nightmare as there are two (or more) separate breaking changes: now *nobody* can work out which one of their *one* changes broke things.

your immediate reaction should have been "uh-oh i need to go on high alert RIGHT NOW" and track this down, starting with a git checkout c672fb5eb and re-running as many unit tests as possible.

this is perfectly possible because the project policy is to run with python setup.py develop, it is extremely easy to go back in time (no need to do full deploy-reinstall), it is 30 seconds to check, type, and have a unit test underway.

please for goodness sake wake up and pay more attention, as the amount of work needed to be completed is barely within the available timeframe, and there are now at least four people working on the codebase at the same time.

although i appreciate there are a lot of them, if you follow the workflow guidelines strictly this will go smoothly.