[Libre-soc-dev] power-instruction-analyzer v0.2.0

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 07:15:51 GMT 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:26 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> the version number is a declaration / contract: "this software *is*
> the exact same software to the absolute last byte" and maturin, being
> inexperienced and new, doesn't yet know about these kinds of contracts
> that took 20+ years for distro systems to establish.

I think maturin is not really at blame for the issue with version
numbers, maturin develop is intended for development use (like
setup.py develop) when the version number is not a good indicator of
the exact software, no sane person is going to update the version
number every they type and want to compile their code to see if their
latest changes work.

> >> fantastic.   just to check: is that required to operate normally or is
> >> it only required when running tests?
> >
> > It's required just for human inspection, not for using
> > power-instruction-analyzer.
>
> ahh ok.
>
> > Running native instruction tests requires
> > a POWER9 processor to test against, the file is basically the test
> > results, containing the calculated results for every test case.
>
> which could then be compared elsewhere.

That's the whole idea, though also that reading the output allows
guessing what exact spec-undefined behavior is implemented. Having the
output publically available allows anyone to do that without the large
investment required to buy their own POWER9 computer.