[Libre-soc-dev] Soc compunit tests failing me

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 15:09:08 BST 2021

On September 3, 2021 1:21:02 PM UTC, Kyle Lehman <klehman9 at comcast.net> wrote:
>Perhaps lack of sleep and not being the sharpest of knives, tests such
>as alu_comp_unit fails with:
>File
>"/home/klehman/src/soc/src/soc/fu/compunits/test/test_compunit.py",
>line 91, in get_cu_outputs
>    valid_o = yield cu.alu.n.valid_o
>AttributeError: 'NextControl' object has no attribute 'valid_o'
>

>Fairly certain I followed everything to the letter.

you may have run into the infamous issue of not running the installation in exact and strict order, resulting in pip3 performing unauthorised downloads without your consent.

usually this is taken care of with by the dev-env-setup scripts which follow the required precise and exact order.

can you please run "pip3 list"
https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/cli/pip_list/

and if that contains any of the following run the "uninstall" command on every single one:

* nmigen
* nmigen-soc
* c4m-jtag
* libresoc-nmutil
* libresoc-openpower-isa
* libresoc-ieee754fpu

these all take PRIORITY over what you have installed by running "python3 setup.py develop" and they are all OUT OF DATE.

you will need to manually work out the order.  if you have all of them then it is highly likely that you jumped to the "soc" repo, straight away, without first installing the required dependencies.

the discussion on irc yesterday will give some insight:
https://libre-soc.org/irclog/%23libre-soc.2021-09-03.log.html#t2021-09-03T07:50:15

you MUST run the installation in the correct order (as specified in both HDL_workflow if you use that, or by examining the dev-env-setup scripts) in order to stop pip3 from going off and performing unauthorised arbitrary downloads.