[Libre-soc-dev] Freenode IRC and the future

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed May 19 21:51:19 BST 2021

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Free-
> Software-Exits-Freenode
>
> Apparently freenode is undergoing a hostile takeover, should we move to a
> different platform (IRC or otherwise)?

arrgh. 20 years and _now_ it gets screwed.  we don't need this.

let's keep an eye on it.  if it remains functional and the number of people
present remains at its current level, it's tolerable. otherwise, oftc.net
is probably the next best choice.

need to notify Toshaan in meeting, see what he thinks.

> matrix is what was used for chat, to great success, for fosdem 2021

one of its downsides is the web hosting, its features, and the complexity
of clients.  this seriously gets in the way.  IRC is ridiculously simple
being established during a much simpler era.

i can't get elements or jitsi upgraded any more because they have increased
the minimum version of android.  by contrast i have half a dozen irc
clients of fdroid to choose from.