[Libre-soc-dev] video assembler

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon May 10 12:58:38 BST 2021

On Monday, May 10, 2021, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:

> > it parses the SVP64 assembler format and turns it into prefix-suffix, i
> > think proceeding with that and writing pure assembler functions is
> probably
> > the way to break the critical path dependency.
> >
> > what's your thoughts?
>
> It seems to be a translator, encoding the svp stuff as .long whatever.

yes, which both the python emulator and hardware simulator understand.

if you can run unit tests on the python emulator (which is easy to do) i
can run the hardware simulator (which is harder to do)

> don't see how it solves the critical path? It doesn't let me run, test,
> benchmark. It doesn't let me do anything I couldn't do without it,
> unless I'm missing something?

here is an example:

https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=openpower-isa.git;a=blob;f=src/openpower/decoder/isa/test_caller_svp64.py;hb=HEAD

you can see it *uses* the SVP64Asm.

i can write something a bit more sophisticated which picks up "*.S" files
instead.

perhaps uses the comment field to create the .long

then you can write pure assembler but *without* yet needing binutils which
is on the critical path.