[Libre-soc-dev] GitLab-CI fixes

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Tue May 4 22:48:57 BST 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021, 14:09 Jonathan Neuschäfer <j.neuschaefer at gmx.net>
wrote:

> Another thing: Depending on the hardware performance of the CI runner,
> the timeout may need to be increased (patch now available in my ci
> branch). For example, the job hits the one hour timeout on gitlab.com.

My build server is an 8-core (sorta, they got sued over that) AMD FX (8350
i think) with 20GB ram -- probably more powerful than gitlab.com's build
servers. If we need, I have a Ryzen 2600X and a mobo I can put in there,
but I'll need to buy ddr4 ram. If I buy ram, I'll probably get 64GB and put
it in my desktop, then put the 32GB currently in my desktop into the build
server.

> > i've never looked at these gitlab-ci things before.  i'm curious as to
> > why the dev-env-setup scripts are not used?
> >
> > this would avoid huge duplication of commands and also ensure that the
> > dev-env-setup scripts themselves were tested.
> >
> https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=dev-env-setup.git;a=tree;h=6b79a0fea2052a8b35a4f130a64c119983d40f3c;hb=6b79a0fea2052a8b35a4f130a64c119983d40f3c
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> Jacob might know why it is the way it is, but using dev-env-setup sounds
> like a good refactoring to me.

basically because no one got around to it yet. as mentioned in my previous
email, the gitlab ci scripts were written before dev-env-setup was ready.

we will probably also want to test running stuff in a python virtual-env
since I know some people (at least me) work on libre-soc that way.