[Libre-soc-dev] Introduction

Jules Penuchot jules at penuchot.com
Sat Mar 13 14:58:00 GMT 2021

On 3/13/21 2:44 PM, whygee at f-cpu.org wrote:
 > On 2021-03-13 14:31, Jules Penuchot wrote:
 >> Hi everyone,
 >
 > Bienvenue Jules ! :-)

Merci ! :)

On 3/13/21 2:52 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> nice.  did you see the latest by Xilinx?
> https://www.eetimes.com/xilinx-opens-up-vitis-hls-tool-for-fpgas/
> they haven't released the LLVM-IR-to-netlist conversion part
> (that's still proprietary) but it is a good start.

Haven't heard of that! I'm not familiar with FPGA development yet, but
moving FPGA development into C++ sounds quite interesting to me,
especially if you combine that to metaprogramming techniques... I should
definitely dig that, thank you!

>> I've been developing clang frontend tools for source transformation
>> recently, and I saw you needed a C++ dev with compiler experience to
>> work on a MESA 3D driver.
>
> yes.  vivek is the lead on this.
>
>> I don't consider myself experienced enough to
>> take the lead on such a project, but I'd be more than glad to assist.
>> There is a lot for me to learn in the process, and I'd be more than
>> happy to contribute to a project like Libre-SOC.
>
> fantastic, great to hear from you.  so as you can see i posted just last week
> about the roadmap for this driver:
> http://lists.libre-soc.org/pipermail/libre-soc-dev/2021-March/002089.html
>
> it's a progressive series of steps that has some interesting side-effects:
> a general-purpose software-rendered 3D MESA driver is one of them.

I'm looking into it thanks! I'm scanning through this to get an idea of
what the whole project is all about.

> i'll let vivek respond: if you're happy with the plan then we can move to
> the next step(s), are you happy with the Charter, you've found the mailing
> list already, etc. etc.
>
> warmest,

Happy with the plan, happy with the charter, thanks for the info!

Regards,
Jules