[Libre-soc-dev] Unexpected clock connexions.

Jean-Paul Chaput Jean-Paul.Chaput at lip6.fr
Thu Jun 3 14:33:30 BST 2021

Ha. You may have got a wrong impression about clock tree & H-Tree due
to a trick I used to cut corners.

Previously, H-Tree where automatically created for nets flagged as "clock"
and only for them, creating a wrong sense of association between those
two properties. And, to cut corners, I did declare signals like "reset"
as clocks so that an H-Tree would be built for them.

Now, I did the right thing and H-Tree are no longer related to being
a clock. You can build an H-Tree on any nets.

Nest thing to consider, is the degree of synchronicity (skew) required
for a signal, for low skew, H-Tree is mandatory.

So we have the following choices :

* Signal with huge number of sinks more or less evenly spread over
  the whole surface with low skew. Typically clock.
    ==> Use H-Tree

* Signal with huge number of sinks, widespread.
    ==> H-Tree or HFNS (implicit)

* Signal with medium / high number of sinks
    ==> HFNS (implicit).

If you don't use a H-Tree, any nets with more than 20 sinks will be
have a HFNS synthetized (High-Fanout Net Synthesis) which is a kind
of buffered tree, but with the positions of the nodes left free,
so no warranty on the skew or optimal clustering (will improve that
in the future).

So for the non-clock signals, we could do whatever we want.

For the clock signals, do I read correctly that some components with
run at *external* clock speed (DEBUG & DMI) ? I would like to have
the Staf's advice about that. If it is really needed, we may need
for the tool's sake, make two input clocks (even if they are connected
to the same external signal).

Best,