[Libre-soc-dev] Getting an SSH access to the repositories

Dmitry Selyutin dmitry.selyutin at 3mdeb.com
Mon Jul 12 20:30:36 BST 2021

On 7/12/21 9:39 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On 7/12/21, Dmitry Selyutin <dmitry.selyutin at 3mdeb.com> wrote:
>> On 7/11/21 10:52 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>> if you're happy to, when you have time, ping me on #libre-soc
>>> on irc.libera.chat, i can go over the simulator etc.
>>> i've been thinking for a week or so how what would be a
>>> good way to get started
>> Thanks for this suggestion, that'd be great! Please, let me know via
>> direct e-mail when you have some time for this.
>
> if you treat IRC as asynchronous and stay logged in (screen with
> irssi, or use bnc4you or other persistent proxy) we can (eventually)
> complete a conversation.
I tried the first thing I found, kvirc. It seems I'm already at
irc.libera.chat, on #libera channel. It's been a huge time (I guess more
than a decade) since I used IRC, and I've never used it on Linux. Do you
have some specific username?

> superb. you shouldn't need coriolis2 or GDHL or iverilog at this point.
Nice, some parts can be skipped then. Still, I have several issues (I'm
not sure yet whether I should file these as documentation bugs;
currently I enumerate these so that I won't forget about them if we need
to update the docs):

0. The docs don't mention other scripts which would've been handy, e.g.
hdl-tools-yosys, or ppc64-gdb-gcc script. I wish I knew about them
before I installed things manually. :-)

1. 6.5 Softfloat and sfpy
This section doesn't mention you need rust. The 6.7 requires it
explicitly, so I got things working. Also, install-hdl-apt-reqs misses
rust as well (probably since it's not installed by apt).

2. 6.7 power_instruction_analyzer (pia)
$ python3 -m pip install --user target/wheels/*.whl
power_instruction_analyzer-0.2.0-cp37-cp37m-manylinux_2_24_x86_64.whl is
not a supported wheel on this platform.

3. Docs mention gcc-9. However, the latest available gcc for
powerpc64-linux-gnu is gcc-8. ppc64-gdb-gcc script makes me think this
is by no means a coincidence. :-)

By now, I'm installing gdb. I didn't manage to install
power-instruction-analyzer (6.7) due to error mentioned above; is it
essential? Also, am I right that 6.8-6.14 can be skipped?

> btw what spec system do you have? please say you have 16 GB RAM or greater.
I wish I had, but this is not a happy reality. :-) Unfortunately, what
relates to HDL section 3, I'm a total outsider. My primary OS is
ArchLinux with 8 GB RAM; since the recommended environment is Debian, I
have it on VirtualBox with 2 cores and 2GB RAM allocated. Perhaps I can
try allocating more RAM.

> if not we have a TALOS-II system sponsored by Raptor with insane
> amounts of RAM and cores.
That'd be great, if the system is resource-hungry.

> oh good :) i do hope you appreciated the dilbert cartoons as counter-examples :)
Sure! :-)

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Selyutin