[Libre-soc-dev] HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort on SBC (like Raspberry Pi) and on BMC

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 08:01:46 GMT 2021

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021, 23:50 Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the purpose of having 2048 internal wires per 32bit DRAM
> interface? I'm utterly confused, wouldn't you have the internal bus
> width match that of the external interface?

In high-performance GPUs, the memory bus can easily run at several GHz DDR,
whereas the actual GPU cores run at closer to 1-2GHz. the 8 buses could be
1 bus to each internal GPU core and 256-bit wide to have a single bus have
enough bandwidth at 1GHz to saturate the several GHz DDR external bus speed.

That's my guess anyway...