[Libre-soc-dev] libre-soc server cgroups

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Aug 9 19:09:39 BST 2021

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 9:12 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> https://contabo.com/en/vps/vps-s-ssd/?image=ubuntu.267&qty=1&contract=1
>
> 4 cores, 8 GB RAM, 200 GB SSD for EUR 6, that's pretty damn good.
> moving to a different VM however is quite a bit of hassle.  i wonder if
> i can get mythic-beasts to negotiate alternative pricing.

Staf, i had a word with mythic-beasts, they explained the difference:
contabo are likely to be using "ballooning" (meaning, they allocate
more customers than there are actual resources).  mythic-beasts
*very deliberately* do not do that.

also, their peering arrangement with other ISPs provides a guaranteed
gigabit-ethernet-level service, and if you look at the bandwidth allocations
the "level up" for contabo is a whopping EUR 300+ euros a month.

bottom line is, if the libre-soc server gets hammered we can scale it
up at not unreasonable prices, whereas contabo will hit limits much
earlier and we'd be hit with disproportionately high bills to fix that.

the team at mythic-beasts loved what we're doing, so they offered
to upgrade us to 2-core 4GB RAM for 12 GBP/m inc VAT (actually
10 GBP but i don't think they were aware of the IPv4 address)
i've now listed them as a hosting sponsor on the front page.