[Libre-soc-dev] Update on Coriolis & LS180.

Staf Verhaegen staf at fibraservi.eu
Fri Apr 30 18:36:33 BST 2021

On vr, 2021-04-30 at 18:02 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 4:41 PM Jacob Lifshay <
> programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
> without Antenna we get "feedback" inside the chip on every
> longstraight path, and could only run at say... 20 mhz.

No worse, antenna rules are process related and can results in
destroyed transistor gates if violated.
To flatten layers so-called CMP (chemical-mechanical polishing) steps
are introduced; this polishing generates charges and if the area of the
metal wire is too big compared to the gate area connected to it that
may destroy that gate.

That's also reason why TSMC won't accept designs that have Antenna rule
violations.
greets,
Staf.