[Libre-soc-dev] Back from vacation and question about documenting litex

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Sep 7 11:45:25 BST 2020

On Monday, September 7, 2020, Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me rephrase my original question:
>
> On that note, do we have the litex simulation and testing instructions
> on the wiki?

no.

If so can you please link me to the page? If not, I'd
> like to take on the task of documenting that this week. Is there a bug
> report for this
> already? or should I create one?

yes please

> I tried following your directions from above:
>
> > should be real simple.
> >
> > 1) install litex
> > 2) run sim.py
>
> But I get an error related to not finding the microwatt test .bin,

track the file (which is missing), back to microwatt, then make it. in this
case it's made simply with "make" in the microwatt/tests/decrementer
subdirectory.  from that it should be fairly obvious what needs to be done
when modifying sim.py to run other tests (cd microwatt/tests/xics; make).

all of this needs to be "de-hack-i-fied" and put into a proper Makefile,
the hack-the-source option replaced with a command-line option etc. etc.
etc.

therefore I think it would be worthwhile for me to document the full
> process on the wiki. I'm assuming it involves running the microwatt
> setup steps, which I think are just 'make' and following their
> instructions for installing micropython?

or whatever, yes.

Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to document the full
> process on the wiki?

yes, probably a good idea.

As of right now we don't document microwatt as a
> dependency on the HDL_workflow page where we do document the rest i.e.
> pia, nmigen-soc, etc.
>

> With you. I mentioned that lu_zero at gentoo is working on a lot of
> media/video encoding stuff and specifically working on the power side
> as well, with a good amount of work on - if I'm not misremembering -
> binutils for power!! I'm planning on reaching out to him this week.
> Should I send my draft email seeking technical and correctness input
> on what I've written to the libre-soc-dev or libre-soc-org mailing
> list?

tck, tck, *thinks*... yes.  separate subject.  although, i am not hugely
keen on the idea of trying to use a mailing list as an "editable document
store" i don't expect there to be multiple revisions.  it's just an
introductory message.