[Libre-soc-dev] Rust's SIMD project group

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 04:22:45 BST 2020

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020, 03:15 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:53 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> https://zulip-archive.rust-lang.org/257879projectportablesimd/96123LibreSOCsSimpleV.html
>
> okaaay nooow i can reply :)  (and i'll investigate an account later today)

let me know if you decide to make an account.

sadly, if predication was available on SIMD as the "norm" this would
> be a different matter entirely.

They do plan on supporting special mask types for predication: e.g.
mask16x8 is logically 16 booleans where the true value is 0xFFFF and false
is 0. those types can be used for masking out values and masking some
operations -- probably limited to load/store since most other ops won't
crash on garbage data in a logically disabled lane.

They're also thinking about variable-length vectors, where I mentioned
SimpleV again:
https://github.com/rust-lang/stdsimd/issues/22