[Libre-soc-dev] 3d gpu business plan

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Dec 29 10:43:52 GMT 2020

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 7:22 AM Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 18:59:19 +0000
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, December 28, 2020, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:
> > > invest in this effort, when the minute the fruit is ready, someone else
> > > can reap the rewards" - it does not make sense moneywise.
> >
> > the silicon industry is unlike anything else.  costs are immense, lead
> > times are ridiculous.  this presents two crucial barriers that can be
> > exploited in a time-dependent fashion.
>
> Any lead time they need they can do in parallel to our development,
> thanks to the open development model.

of the core: yes.  of the peripherals: no.  when i said "HDL takes
10-12 months to negotiate with suppliers" i was referring to the
peripherals.  the time this takes - just the *negotiation with
suppliers* is 10-12 months, Lauri.

> We have no time advantage.

we have a *huge* time advantage, Lauri.  it is inexperience with the
Silicon Industry that prevents you from seeing this.

this is not software.