[Libre-soc-dev] svp64

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 18 23:09:41 GMT 2020

On Friday, December 18, 2020, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 7:11 AM Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> That would be a bad choice, it implies there will be some delayed action
>> at a later time. I'd suggest "idling".
>
> interesting. that was one of the other synonyms in the group.  thank you.

right.  been talking with my stepfather who is a maths teacher.  in trying
to explain it to him i mentioned that "idling" etc is a bit like
multiplying by 0

i.e. the unfortunate implication of "idling" and "latent" and "inactive" is
that it is not just SV that is off but the *actual instruction as well*.

we therefore want something that is equivalent to "multiply by 1" and
ta-daaa the mathematical term for that is "identity".

how can this word be used to explain SV "default changes nothing" ?