[Libre-soc-dev] daily kanban 2020-12-15

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Dec 16 11:46:04 GMT 2020

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 9:52 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> for the stuff about register naming & patterns being non-obvious to you, I
> guess I just wrongly assumed pattern recognition was about as easy for
> everyone. (I did apparently surprise the test proctor when I was tested on
> my pattern recognition/memory skills)

yeah the one i was able to do 100% was visual shape rotations.  a
polygon shape with dots around the outline, you had to draw a line
between any 2 dots to break it into two halves that would form a
square.  i did 50 of those in under 2 minutes.  everyone's different
:)

> Ideas for how to improve it to be understandable?

using the IBM pseudocode format:

    reg = RA || extra[0] || 0b0

that's really clear, and has the advantage of being possible to "lift"
directly into HDL, which, given that it will be HDL engineers reading
it (and compiler writers), leveraging what they "know".