[Libre-soc-dev] Working on tests during the code freeze

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Dec 13 17:02:10 GMT 2020

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 4:56 PM Cesar Strauss <cestrauss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Even during the code freeze, I keep working on improving quality and
> coverage of the unit tests, as well as bug hunting.

appreciated, cesar

> I am being responsible, while caring not to touch anything outside of
> test code. I hope this is OK.

of course it is

> I wonder if it would be better to keep my work on the repository, but on
> a side branch, just in case.

if it's *just* unit tests, then no, put them in the main repo.  if
you're adding new code not used by the main core, again: put them in
the main repo.

however if you need to *modify* something used in the main core (such
as MultiCompUnit) then yes, definitely, create a branch so we can take
a look, first.

i really do not like branches because they have caused such
significant loss of work ("oh it's in a branch") and isolation of
developers that i am massively against them.

however in this *one* case - code freeze - there is a clear and
important reason for using them.