[Libre-soc-dev] Audio and Video Codec Algorithmic analysis for instruction creation was from Re: clamping/saturation semantics

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 08:12:41 GMT 2020

On Friday, December 11, 2020, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I don't think so. There's no ambiguity in sw profiling, and I
> trust Luke to have a good handle for the power implications of any
> single instr.

Sorry do you mean there too much ambiguity in software profiling? As in
it’s too variable such that deriving instructions from spectate algorithm
profiling has a a high probability of creating suboptimal instructions?
Otherwise I’m sorry I don’t think I understand, can you explain further?

What is the method we, or you are using to identify instructions that are
potentially good candidates for hardware acceleration that will then need
to be implemented, simulated and compared against other implementations to
determine the area/power/performance improvement per Jeff Bush’s Nyuzi
Raster method?

Cole