[Libre-soc-dev] Some high-level information about Apple's new M1 SoCs

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:53:04 GMT 2020

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020, 10:30 Pedro Ângelo <pangelo at void.io> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently found this article going over some of the architectural
> decisions
> driving the performance of the new M1 SoCs from Apple, and how they relate
> the overall chip and device manufacturing ecosystem:
>
> https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2
>
> Thought you might relate to some of the ideas presented there.

Thanks, that's quite interesting!

IIRC we had talked previously about building a 8-wide processor too, but we
decided we're putting that off till later since we wanted to get a working
processor first, then we'll have a better opportunity to go all out once we
demonstrated that we can make something that works.

Jacob Lifshay