[Libre-soc-dev] [Mesa-dev] Loading Vulkan Driver

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Aug 23 12:07:34 BST 2020

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 10:19 AM apinheiro <apinheiro at igalia.com> wrote:
> On 23/8/20 8:11, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > next step is to add 3D opcodes *directly* to the POWER9 core that we
> > are developing.
>
> Then, in addition to the drivers you already looking as reference, it
> would make sense if you take a look to Vallium, that have just landed on
> Mesa master
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/6082

appreciated - we missed this one in the evaluation process (i think),
so thank you.  a primary objective is a native Vulkan driver.  correct
me if i am wrong, vallium is a "gallium-to-vulkan adapter"?  i saw
something about gallium which explained that gallium is not (yet)
entirely suited to this task?  also that there are threading
limitations in gallium and/or llvmpipe.

one of the reasons for picking a route that involves NIR is to
leverage the significant high-performance work done there, because
whilst libre-soc is a software-renderer, it's a software-renderer on
hardware that has (will have) full GPU capabilities.  if we used
gallium (or started from SwiftShader) the superb work done by NIR
passes would need to be duplicated.