[libre-riscv-dev] PPC on Talos and Playstation 3

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:45:13 BST 2020

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, 12:35 Immanuel, Yehowshua U <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu>
wrote:

> optional.  however we'll need to add our own modes: Khronos / Vulkan
> Compliance.
>
> Ah. Gotcha. So do we even NEED to test on ppc64?
> You can test 754 compliance on most anything.
>
> If we opt out of the ppc mode - then I imagine we don’t need PPC specific
> testing for the FPU.
> Is it possible to invoke PPC FPU mode through the instruction set?

We still have to implement all the extra status flags that Power defines,
since they are still used even in IEEE 754 compliant mode.

What needs testing is making sure simple-soft-float calculates all the
Power-specific status flags correctly, so I will be creating a bunch of
test cases on PPC hardware such that all the test cases can then be run on
any computer including x86. The HDL can then be designed to match
simple-soft-float without requiring PPC hardware to run any tests because
simple-soft-float will be verified to be correct.