[libre-riscv-dev] xdc2020

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 00:48:18 BST 2020

> On Jul 3, 2020, at 3:44 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>
> On Friday, July 3, 2020, Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> the technical gap is the difference between low power 300 mhz 32 bit
> Freescale embedded processors and the 200W Monster POWER9 IBM processor.
>
> that's a huge gap with plenty of market potential for us to find suitable
> customers.

Exactly!

> well... it *is* delivering but in a strangled fashion where not only libre
> commercial projects are discriminated against, i have heard many other
> stories where others are also discriminated as well.
>
> so it *is* actually innovating... but only by "arbitrarily approved"
> participants.  which is in violation of both Trademark Law as well as anti
> trust laws.
>
> our experiences with OpenPOWER have been the direct polar opposite: very
> positive.  the long time things are taking with OPF are because they want
> to get things right, and not rush ahead.
>
> this because the larger OPF members such as IBM have huge ongoing
> responsibility to existing customers, going back 2 decades.
>
> ultimately then, the people behind OPF are thoughtful and extremely
> intelligent, and get that PowerISA needs new implementors as well as
> constructive input from new sources.
>
> the base is, as you say, already damn good.

Exactly, I want to make this one of the pillars of the presentation.

> I also have a prospective investor that I need to prepare something similar
>> for.
>

> care to share?

Essentially my best friend’s dad is running a crypto-mining company that sells the energy they here are from the waste heat of the hash ASICS. I talked to him last weekend about the chip and he said he might be interested in it as an investor, but as a favour because I’m friends with his son he and his more technical friend are willing to go over an early stage pitch and “ask the questions that will need to be answered at some point anyway.” Which is really cool and should be a big help in getting the Libre-SOC product more solidified and explained in a potential-investor friendly manner :-)

I will share my work once I have a chance to work on it this weekend (I’ve done zero since the 10 page document I sent on list a month ago). For some reason on Thursday my computer started crashing :-( So I haven’t been able to get any work done. Fixing it today, should be able to do something tomorrow.

Cole