[libre-riscv-dev] xdc2020

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 22:56:53 BST 2020

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020, 14:37 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Friday, July 3, 2020, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2020, 12:43 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> > wrote:

> > > it's
> > >
> > > good idea:
> > > https://xdc2020.x.org/event/9/abstracts/
> > >
> > > i've added it here:
> > > http://libre-soc.org/conferences/
> > >
> > > what topic?
> > >

> > how we're building an open-source GPU?
>

> libre :)  it's not called open-soc

FOSS for hardware, maybe FOSH?

> >  tell our story.
>

> where to start from? there's several possible angles.  a purely technical
> one could literally take 2 days to go over everything :) it took me 7 hours
> straight, to explain SV to Alain!

I was thinking more of a summary of our history, starting back from around
when I joined, or even earlier. I think it's an interesting story that will
hopefully interest more people in our project.

> the "why" angle, it is hardly technical at all, and can be covered quite
> briefly. link to the article on the Intel Valve/Steam collaboration to
> illustrate the debugging effectiveness.
>
> another possibility: why use python (because of OO techniques) that should
> definitely go in, i feel.  less code, more effective.
>
> and the flexibility, the example of opaque object rendering requiring
> *double* passes because proprietary libraries use direction-facing
> detection to exclude triangles that are "behind".

that particular example is not a good example since both OpenGL and Vulkan
allow rendering to select if back facing, front facing, both, or neither
triangles should be discarded. I'd assume proprietary 3D APIs such as
Direct3D also allow selecting that. What your thinking of is probably
proprietary game/rendering engines that are built on top of OpenGL/Vulkan
such as Unity3D, Source, or others.