[libre-riscv-dev] LibreSOC domain

Immanuel, Yehowshua U yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 3 04:28:44 GMT 2020

> While starting to play with the nMigen Minerva SOC, what math (e.g linear algebra, calculus, etc.) and computer science/electrical engineering (logic, circuits, memory systems, cahces, etc.) would you suggest I should focus on concurrently at first?

You should definitely look at processor caches and coherence.

Look up to tomasulo algorithm.

Again man - I’d just say - go with the flow. Find a bug that you think you can tackle and learn what you like along the way.

I learned linear algebra, integral calculus, and complex algebras to solve various problems at some point. Mainly related to signal processing problems and electromagnetic boundary problems. These were just for fun.

Now I’m focusing a bit more on statistical mechanics for quantum theory problems.
These aren’t strictly related to CS or chip design - but they do have a way of sharpening your mind in unexpected ways when solving CS problems.

Computer Logic is pretty simple. If you can write a simple computer in any HDL such as verilog, you should be fine.

You technically only need one gate - NAND.
You can build any arbitrary logic with NAND since it provides inversion and similarity comparisons
.

So in conclusion, Tomasulo and see if you can write a simple computer in some HDL.

Yehowshua