[libre-riscv-dev] LLVM 9.0 Release

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 21:01:34 BST 2019

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019, 12:54 Michael Pham <pham.michael.98 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 3:40 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > > Some other interesting facts but less relevant is that LLVM can now
> > > build the mainline Linux kernel (the Linux kernel for the longest time
> > > could only be exclusively built with gcc but that's changed now).
> > >

> > didn't know that, but did know Google's been working on upstreaming all
> > their Android work, which would probably include that.
> >

> So this means I can now download the Android source code from Google,
> then build Android for Libre RISC-V using LLVM?

I'd anticipate problems due to Android having a java compiler which most
likely doesn't have a RISC-V backend, along with different components using
assembly language.

So, yes, it can be done, but will take lots of work as well as needing
Armv7a emulation (like Android on x86) since a lot of android apps are only
compiled for Arm.

Next milestone on NLNet after the Libre RISC-V SoC is done: work on
> making a Libre RISC-V Android phone :D

Sounds like a worthy goal.