[libre-riscv-dev] buffered pipeline

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Mar 21 06:35:44 GMT 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 5:33 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  ? que? you've lost me.  can you clarify: are you saying that you're
> > concerned that the python random library does not have sufficient
> > entropy?
> >
> I'm concerned that we won't be able to have multiple independently
> advanceable sources of exactly reproducible pseudo-random numbers that can
> be used on a fpga for testing.

 ok.  well, one solution to that is to pre-compute the random numbers,
store them in memory (or a file).

 also, python's random library has a "seed" function, which sets the
PRNG state to a reproducible sequence.

 on an FPGA... potentially filling in some of the reasoning, here:
you're thinking in terms of having a suitable PRNG on the FPGA, and
the unit tests being uploaded into the FPGA as well?

> NON-cryptographic. I know RC4 is essentially broken as a crypto primitive,
> I'm just using it because it is close enough to a perfect source of
> randomness for simulation and testing purposes, and it's really simple.

 cool.