[libre-riscv-dev] building a simple barrel processor

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Mar 8 06:54:43 GMT 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 6:11 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to clarify, I'm asking if you think it's a good idea to work on this
> since it will take some time.

 at its heart a barrel processor is a single-core single-issue
timeslicing design, suited to real-time I/O processing.  if we were to
add multiple barrel 4-time-sliced SMP cores, it would result in
multiple proliferations of the massive dual/triple-ported 8k SRAMs.

i just don't believe that a barrel processor will yield a useful
design for a production quality 6 GFLOPs SoC within the required power
budget, which is the target at which, if met, i can go back to the
client and say "we met the target, how about that $100k".

also, there's someone whom i'm encouraging to introduce themselves who
would like to help with the OoO implementation, they're getting
settled in having just moved house.  they've got prior experience with
OoO.