[libre-riscv-dev] [isa-dev] FP reciprocal sqrt extension proposal

Guy Lemieux glemieux at vectorblox.com
Thu Jul 11 22:19:50 BST 2019

Just because "that's the way it's always been done" is not a good
reason to justify its continuance.

1/sqrt(a) has been done as single-operand because it's an easy,
independent table-lookup operation, followed by iteration to get the
desired precision. it converges nicely.

however, in real software, the function 1/sqrt(a) almost never stands
alone. it is used for normalization, so it is almost always followed
by a multiplication, ie a/sqrt(b), or preceeded by an addition, ie
1/sqrt(a+b).

saying it is "subjected to rounding twice" isn't really fair. if done
as separate operations, it is subjected to rounding twice.  when done
as an atomic operation, you can arrange extended precision and round
only once.

sorry, i'm not trying to overly advocate for this, just trying to
encourage that we keep an open mind.

guy