[libre-riscv-dev] [OT] fine structure constant

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Jul 9 13:20:01 BST 2019

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 12:29:22PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 9, 2019, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > found one of the bugs causing simulation to fail:
> > https://github.com/m-labs/nmigen/issues/141
>

> Ah excellent.
>
> Also i just remembered where I know bigfloat from, The de Vries formula for
> the fine structure constant.
> http://lkcl.net/reports/fine_structure_constant/

Cool.  I didn't know there was a formula for the fine structure constant.
Now I find myself wondering if there is any theoretica justification for
that formula, or whether de Vries just kept adjusting the formula unti
it came out approoximately correct.

Especially because the Wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-structure_constant
cites experimental evidence that the find structure constant has changed
over the past ten billion years or so.

Of course the evidence could be wrong.

-- hendrik