[libre-riscv-dev] [isa-dev] Re: FP reciprocal sqrt extension proposal

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Aug 8 18:45:36 BST 2019

On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 09:53:57AM -0700, Allen Baum wrote:
> CO rdic is great for extremely low gate count implementations. But
> for highest performance, there are likely much better ways.

It may be useful to provide both imlementations in out codebase, and
use conditional execution to choose which to put in a particular chip
design.  This leaves a choice between gate count and speed, which may
be done differently for different applications.

Except, of course, that we have limited time and resources to produce
our first working designs.

I'd suggest for now we choose one: whichever is the simplest, easiest
to implement and has a reasonable chance of meeting out goals.

But stay modular enough that we could swap it out for another if we
find we need to.

-- hendrik