[libre-riscv-dev] shader compiler progress update

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 21:56:52 GMT 2018

LLVM does sort-of support vector masks (it supports the on load/store, but
not all arithmetic operations).

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018, 08:34 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net
wrote:

> thoughts / questions coming through: what's the general goal? SPIR-V
> is an intermediate (compiled) representation, based originally on
> LLVM.  so... is the goal to *interpret* the SPIR-V or to *compile*
> SPIR-V?   as in, is the plan to write a rust *program* that
> *interprets* the SPIR-V compiled code, or to write a write
> *translator* that translates the SPIR-V into say.... LLVM IR, and then
> execute that under the standard LLVM runtime (or an LLVM JIT)?

Translating to LLVM IR and executing using LLVM to JIT compile the code is
the goal.
If we implemented a SPIR-V interpreter, everyone would use llvmpipe instead
because it would be many times faster.