[libre-riscv-dev] crazy idea using tomasulo algorithm

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Dec 4 00:14:54 GMT 2018

[transferring discussion to list]

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 6:16 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> For GPU workloads FP64 is not common so I think having 1 FP64 alu would be sufficient.

 yes agreed.  what i like about tomasulo is, it's possible to drop as
many (independent types of and number of ) ALU units onto the bus as
is needed.

> Since indexed loads and stores are not supported, it will be important to support 4x64
> integer operations to generate addresses for loads/stores.

 sounds reasonable.

> I was thinking we would use scoreboarding to keep track of operations and
> dependencies since it doesn't need a cam per alu.

 http://users.utcluj.ro/~sebestyen/_Word_docs/Cursuri/SSC_course_5_Scoreboard_ex.pdf

 it looks like scoreboarding will stall the pipeline as a way to keep
things in order.  that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling :)   in
particular, if you look at the example towards the end of those
slides, the last operation, which is a div, takes a whopping *forty*
cycles to complete.

 now, if that's accurate, it would mean basically stopping the entire
core dead in its tracks, until that *one* ALU had completed.

 it also means that we still have to find ways to solve the other
issues (which tomasulo takes care of).  i'll write up a secttion in
the microarchitecture doc about this, basically, i think if we extend
the ROB tag with an 8-bit bitfield (one bit per byte) and use it as a
"predicate-style mask", we can drop SIMD-style ALU units onto the data
bus for dealing even with 8-bit operations.

> We should be able to design it to forward past the register file to allow for 0-latency forwarding.
> If we combined that with register renaming it should prevent most war and waw data hazards.

 what i particularly like about the tomasulo algorithm is: it takes
care of *all* WAR and WAW data hazards.  they're completely gone.

> I think branch prediction will be essential if only to fetch and decode operations since it will
> reduce the branch penalty substantially.

 ok. it makes me slightly nervous, however it's been done for decades,
is well-understood, and, importantly, the logic that's used for
exceptions (which has to be there) which simply (in the case of
tomasulo) just erases the reorder buffer and reservation stations, is
quite straightforward.

 agreed.  noted here https://libre-riscv.org/3d_gpu/microarchitecture/