[Libre-soc-dev] Libre-soc Environment Installation

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Jun 15 05:12:31 BST 2022

santosh i have fixed the reproducible build scripts, the addition
of python3-setuptools-scm caused knock-on errors because
the behaviour of pip3 - always a damn nuisance - changed.

you'll need to start again.  can i recommend that this time that
you run the devscripts exactly as listed.

this will save you a huge amount of time and effort and also
will save me a huge amount of time and effort, not needing
to spend time wondering why there are differences and it
turns out after 5-6 messages that you had not run the standard
reproducible-build scripts.

in this particular case it took a lot longer because i also had
to distinguish between errors caused by you running manual
commands and errors caused by ongoing development.

we have had multiple people go through this learning experience:
they spend several *days* trying to install the dependencies
manually, and failing.

if you are concerned about security then just as it says in
the page, you can always examine the contents of the
script before running it.

https://libre-soc.org/HDL_workflow/devscripts/

    Follow these steps after making sure that you review the scripts
    line by line because they run as root and it is your responsibility
    to check them, not ours.