[Libre-soc-dev] adding PartitionedSignal support to nmigen's If/Switch/Case

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Sep 21 14:42:22 BST 2021

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 3:27 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2021, 18:50 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> wrote:
>
> > ---
> > crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 1:36 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > from what I can see, nmigen threads the If and Switch/Case signals all
> > the
> > > way through the IR
>

> > yes.  by which time they are just Signals.
>

> actually, by adding a part and
> > mux function to class Value, then converting nmigen.Part and nmigen.Mux
> > defined as "def Mux(a, b): return a.mux(b)" EXACTLY as is done in
> > the python operator module, not even the nmigen IR sees different
> > types because it is the object.part() and object.mux()'s responsibility
> > to convert down to standard nmigen Signals.
> >

> If/Switch/Case are fundamentally different than Mux/Part/+/*/etc. and can't
> be handled in the same way -- they are control-flow-based, whereas
> Mux/Part/etc. are all only data-flow based.

If/Switch/Case *use* Mux/Part/Cat.  unfortunately it's been several months
since i investigated, so am going to have to look again and rediscover this.

> yosys's process passes are the
> code that does the control-flow to data-flow translation. This difference
> was apparently not noticed, hence why you apparently thought we could do
> the same kind of thing as was done for mux/part/etc.
>
> To implement PartitionedSignal support for If/Switch/Case, we would need a
> full-on vectorization pass -- this is similar to translating SIMT gpu code
> into explicit-vectors & predication.

the trick that i noticed is that Partitioned-Mux is basically a batch of
independent Muxes.

that means that at the right strategic point the translation may be delegated
to PartitionedSignal to perform the required for-loop.

i knew exactly where that could be done, several months ago, and unfortunately
i now have to find it again.

> > > and ends up leaving them to yosys's process_* passes to
> > > translate to logic -- adding support for new types will be a major job.
> >
> > nope, not at all.  if you believe this then you have fundamentally
> > misunderstood
> > the scope and design.
>

> you've fundamentally missed my point...the code we would end up writing *in
> PartitionedSignal* would be a functional duplicate (actually even more
> complex due to vectorization) of what currently exists in yosys's process
> passes. nmigen passes the switch/if/case statements *unmodified* to yosys.
> nmigen *does not* do any lowering to muxes that we could hook into, it
> leaves that all to yosys.

i worked out that by simply having the for-loop in nmigen it can generate
*multiple* independent switch statements, one per "byte" of the "Partitioned"
work.

by insisting on a rule that PartitionedBool have all bits set when handed
to PartitionedMux, the problem is solved.

[there are two possible implementations of PartitionedBool:
(1) the LSB of a given partition is set to indicate yes/no
(2) *ALL* bits of a given partition are set to indicate yes/no
by choosing (2) it makes PartitionedMux incredibly simple]

https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=ieee754fpu.git;a=blob;f=src/ieee754/part_mux/part_mux.py;hb=HEAD#l33

> nmigen's If/Switch/Case fundamentally assume the boolean conditions (the
> output of the if condition/case matching logic) it uses are 1 bit wide, it
> doesn't support vectors of boolean conditions.

this is what i was referring to about the PartitionedBool.
when i last looked, i identified that there is *one* key strategic point where
that boolean condition is now no longer 1 bit wide, it is PartitionedBool
bits wide.

problem solved.

> it would require major
> refactoring to be usable for our purposes,

that would be unacceptable and, i believe, unnecessary.

> the  alternative is to implement
> the same logic ourselves (essentially reimplementing yosys's process
> passes).

yeah we're not doing that as a first pass.

> > > From what I see, we have several options available:
> > > 1. take the do-it-ourselves approach of having nmigen If, Switch, and
> > Case
> > > all just defer to PartitionedSignal methods, this requires reimplementing
> > > inside PartitionedSignal what is currently a major portion of nmigen and
> > > basically all of yosys's process logic.
> >
> > no.  look again.  it is *absolutely not* the case that yosys or nmigen
> > itself
> > need know *anything* about data types other than those that yosys and
> > the IR generated and targetted by nmigen.
> >

> it *does* need to know since a vector of boolean conditions is
> fundamentally different than a 1-bit-wide boolean condition.

what i came up with was to put in an abstraction level where that
decision-making is delegated to something e.g. PartitionedBool.

the *existing* nmigen code then doesn't care that PartitionedBool
performed a for-loop and used PartitionedMux underneath.

i'm annoyed with myself for having left this for so long, i now
can't remember exactly what lines of code in nmigen i was
actually looking at.

> we *can* take
> the option of bypassing nmigen and yosys's if/switch/case logic completely,
> but we'd need to reimplement it all in PartitionedSignal.

yeah we're not doing that either, unless it turns out to be aaabbsolutely
necessary.

so far i'm not convinced it is.