[Libre-soc-dev] Coriolis2 Non-Chroot Script

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 19:52:36 BST 2021

On September 11, 2021 6:29:58 PM UTC, Andrey Miroshnikov <andrey at technepisteme.xyz> wrote:
>On 11/09/2021 18:51, lkcl wrote:
>> Andrey, i have a thought:  would you care to non-chrootify the
>coriolis2 install?
>>
>Was just looking at the explanation of schroot "plain" and "directory"
>as you sent the email, as well as the devscripts wiki page which talks
>about setting up a chroot using "mk-deb-chroot".
>
>Yesterday when I ran the scripts which pull in the soc files into ~/src

yeah, i do that.

>directory, I didn't setup a chroot beforehand.
>Was I supposed to setup a chroot first, in order to have an isolated,
>standardised root system/environment that can be modified by a non-sudo
>
>user?

it's only critically important for the creation of the GDS-II files

but, also, i have found that in some instances software won't even compile on debian/testing, and conversely some won't compile on debian/stable.

the other reason is, some people use ubuntu and doing so results in the wrong versions of libraries. a chroot is "stable common ground" that allows continuing to work.

thus it is down to need and circumstances.