[Libre-soc-dev] Introduction

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 19:52:17 BST 2021

On September 10, 2021 5:51:28 PM UTC, Andrey Miroshnikov <andrey at technepisteme.xyz> wrote:

>more interesting languages that existed.
>I've only heard of Algol, Fortran, Ada, Lisp (its many variants),
>Pascal
>(used briefly), but not used them. Even then there were over languages
>like B, D, F etc.

the BBC Atom had something insanrly obscure, and i remember in.... 1979 a neighbour having a Superbrain with something called APL.

> >started on Ada.
>I guess you have some experience using (or suffering with) it. All I
>know is that it's difficult to write code that will break during
>runtime
>in Ada, which is why it's used in aerospace etc.

and as the basis for VHDL, apparently.

>Ah, do you mean formal verification?
>If so, I have used symbiyosis when I was doing Dan Gisselquist's
>introductory series to Verilog and formal verification
>(https://zipcpu.com/tutorial/)

oh, nice, because we have quite a lot of EUR availabke if you want to go that route.

>I haven't studied the OpenPower spec yet (should I give the 3.0b or
>3.0c
>a read?)

muhahaha only if you want to go blind. it's 1350 pages.

the saner route is "learn by doing", go over Dmitry's excellent "firststeps" tutorial (on the wiki)

>If there's something I could do to help, perhaps something less
>critical
>that wouldn't hinder your progress, let me know. (Luke has mentioned
>updating the test_isa_caller.py test cases to use "a 'Power ISA test
>API" instance' (see below).

well there's things that need "morphing" if you know what i mean.  no rush.

>https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=openpower-isa.git;a=blob;f=src/openpower/simulator/test_sim.py;hb=HEAD
>I look at running this test once gdb compiles.

ack.

cool.  basically look at teststate.py in soc, which kyle recently created, the static (expected) results should fit with that in some dummy way, so that (see test_core.py) when handed to check_regs it goes, "pffh i can check against that"

>Good rule, I'll stick to it.
>Just one clarification however, if I making the same general change to
>several files, should I put that under one commit?

yes.

>For example after running a few scripts from dev-env-setup, I noticed a
>
>lack of -j$(nproc) flag in the "make" statements, so the compilation
>only used one thread (unless the system "make" config has a default I
>guess).

i prefer to make the decision explicitly as to whether to overheat my laptop.  if there's a way to make that flexible feel free

>Seems that disabling HTML view in thunderbird automatically makes the
>message follow the 80-char line limit, so less to think about for me at
> least.

hoorah.