[Libre-soc-dev] Introduction

Kyle Lehman klehman9 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 18:17:31 BST 2021

On 9/10/21 09:27, Andrey Miroshnikov wrote:

> Says here modula-2 is based on pascal:
> https://www.modula2.org/reference/index.php
> Sounds like it might be a fun language for a new architecture, since
> it implements machine-specific drivers in a separate module.
>
> 68k is on my list of arch's to look at, however hadn't played with it
> yet.

Welcome.

They say nostalgia is a heckuva drug, but the 68K holds a special place
in my heart.  Loved it.

As for weird language stuff, there was the granddad known as ALGOL for
block style languages which lead to Pascal and everything else. Wasn't
bad to use it all, in fact it had a couple nice features IIRC while
using it.  What blew me away was actually running across it again being
used on a Unisys mainframe in the late '90s.  Before that, I always
thought of it as a historical and intellectual curiosity.  Don't get me
started on Ada.

Nowadays I don't envy compiler writers.  It takes a special kind of
person to create a modern C++20 AST.

> The work Kyle is doing, is that under bug 686, create Power ISA test API?

Yeah.  Fun stuff, determining what is "100% correct".