[Libre-soc-dev] nlnet grant for funding maintenance/development of website/bugzilla

Reuben Lifshay rlifshay at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 21:18:08 GMT 2021

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 10:56 AM lkcl <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> hiya reuben, nice to hear from you.

Thanks, you as well! :)

> what is running is:
>
> * nginx hosting fastcgid and static pages
> * fail2ban in extreme draconian customised mode
> * exim4 which is functional but annoying
> * mailman2 which is again functional, customised to stop spammers
> * postgresql for bugzilla
> * bugzilla via fastcgid
> * publicinbox which hooks into mailman2
> * gitolite3 with ssh
> * gitweb customised with colour syntax highlighing
> * customised openvpn installation
> * ikiwiki which autogenerates static web pages,
>    avoiding hacking attempts normally faced by
>    wikis
> * dual off-site rsync backups
> * DNS via bind9
>
> all of this is "functional", is based on work i have been managing and running already for 15+ years, and is expected to stay that way.  loadavg remains around 0.4 on a dual core VPS.

That's an impressive number of services and load average  for that one server!

> the server is functional, does its job, and is hard to justify asking NLnet for large funds to cover updating.  project management on the other hand is pretty urgent, takes up a significant amount of my time, and is easy to justify asking NLnet to help cover costs.

I can certainly understand that. I know you have limited resources and
have to decide wisely how to use them.

> > We would definitely be interested in
> >having a discussion with you to assess requirements and opportunities
> >in more detail!

I apologize, I may have been a bit unclear as to what I was interested
in discussing in my previous email. We took interest initially on the
infrastructure and hosting improvements, but after the previous
conversations we understand that PM and administration is the more
important task and we are interested in discussing that further.

Reuben