[Libre-soc-dev] Some Interesting Notes on 5G after CWIC2021

Andrey Miroshnikov andrey at technepisteme.xyz
Tue Nov 9 18:35:08 GMT 2021

Hi all,

I've attended Cambridge Wireless' CWIC2021 conference today (managed to
snag a free ticket by applying for an award hehe).
CW is an organisation with direct links to the telecomm and electronics
industry. First learned about them at uni.

Figured I may as well share any interesting public information I find.
They may release slides from the presentations to the public in the next
few days, I'll update when I see them.

As for 5G, I'm not an evangelist, however there are interesting points
to this set of cellular standards. I find there's a lot of zealous
proponents who want (or at least seem) to make everything wireless, and
hyping the advantages without regard for the downsides.

# Helpful terms:
* NR - New Radio - air interface standard (the modem hardware/software)
https://5g.co.uk/guides/what-is-5g-new-radio/
* SA - Standalone - 5G system functioning with a 5G core (without use of
4G networks)
* NSA - Non-Standalone - 5G system requiring the use of a 4G core (early
networks, and existing networks still use this while SA networks are
being implemented).
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2021/02/europe-s-first-standalone-5g-network-developed-in-uk/

# Current summary of 5G standards (Release 16 came out, Release 17 in
progress):
https://www.3gpp.org/release-16
https://www.3gpp.org/release-17

# Interesting Points from the talks:
* Neutral Host 5G networks - municipal networks that are not
operator-specific (in cities such as Bristol and Liverpool). Allow to
save costs to operators, reduce number of masts thus reduces energy
consumption etc.
https://global5g.org/5gcity-5g-neutral-host
One of the companies in the UK promoting (and assisting with)
neutral/shared networks.
https://freshwavegroup.com/

* Sustainability
Unfortunately little emphasis was put on reducing upgrade cycles, making
handsets more repairable, etc. Of course that is unlikely while
companies are still working within such a frame of mind.

Also point about encouraging less data use by individuals has not been
mentioned. Consuming less is probably not going to be talked about for a
long time.

They did however talk about neutral host networks.

* Digital Automation with 5G
Private spectrum/network allow manufacturers to interconnect everything
on-site.
Nokia 4G basestation factory in Oulu
https://www.nokia.com/about-us/news/releases/2019/07/03/nokias-digitalization-of-its-5g-oulu-factory-recognized-by-the-world-economic-forum-as-an-advanced-4th-industrial-revolution-lighthouse/

Manufacturing and industry are the areas where I consider 5G standard to
be very useful.

However for increased personal consumption (streaming, gaming), not so
much...

Also found a paper while searching for resources.
Modified modulation scheme involving spread spectrum for underwater comms:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/complexity/2018/3790529/

Andrey