[Libre-soc-dev] Getting an SSH access to the repositories

Dmitry Selyutin dmitry.selyutin at 3mdeb.com
Mon Jul 12 22:43:53 BST 2021

On 7/12/21 11:37 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> see HDL_workflow: mailing list != editable document store :)
>
> for things that might need action: bugtracker
>
> for info that is repeated and important: wiki
>
> for automated stuff that makes stuff: git repos
It's libreriscv.git repository, right? I've managed to clone this
repository; if this is the right choice, I'll try updating the docs
tomorrow.

>> 1. 6.5 Softfloat and sfpy
>> This section doesn't mention you need rust. The 6.7 requires it
>> explicitly, so I got things working. Also, install-hdl-apt-reqs misses
>> rust as well (probably since it's not installed by apt).
>
> it is not strictly necessary, it simply stops some of the IEEE754 FP
> unit tests from working, and if you are not running those then you
> don't immediately need it.
OK, I installed it. Given that there are several dependencies which
revealed as optional, perhaps it's worth listing those explicitly at HDL
workflow page?

> *screams*.  oracle proprietary code, violating GPL licenses, asking
> for trouble, that one.  last time i tried it recommended patching the
> linux kernel with some random code, i stopped dead at that.  looked up
> online horror stories and never considered trying it ever again.
I'm neither Oracle's nor VirtualBox' lover. :-) This is simply the thing
I sporadically used before, and therefore it was the most obvious
choice, speaking of "least surprise principle". That said, I've never
been doing anything complex there, so perhaps this is the only reason
I've not met problems. Actually I've been thinking of some kind of
container instead, so that all dependencies are already installed. OTOH,
it's really useful for a newcomer to understand the pieces the project
consists of, so perhaps having a container would make the overall
picture somewhat inaccurate and vague. On pros, this might help getting
a reproducible build (but don't take that for granted, it's always a
headache to make it working, I'm not signing under these words!).

> try "pacman install debootstrap" (pacman -S debootstrap?)
>
> then use that (manually), then under *that* chroot run the devscripts.
>
> chroot in a chroot, i know.
Perhaps it's worth a try; I'm only concerned that this pathetic virtual
HDD I made (already containing sources and dependencies) would then
become useless. Also, I'm afraid that this configuration is not
"blessed", and that at some point Arch would make piss me off due to
being non-Debian. I'm really thinking of containers again... but
generally I consider the containers to be the ultimate resort, that is,
only if the project is that complex that it cannot live without the
"dockers" anymore. Anyway, could we go with VirtualBox setup for now? At
least most of guidelines has already been completed with that thing, and
perhaps we can make it work (at least for a while).

> there's always dokkkaah. *shudder*.
Kinda quintessence of the overall IT... It's always a trade-off between
simplicity for newcomers and, well, container hell. :-)

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Selyutin