[Libre-soc-dev] DCT/FFT augmentations

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sat Jul 3 13:56:25 BST 2021

On Fri, Jul 02, 2021 at 11:27:33PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On 7/2/21, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
>
> > Just a note:  interpreting + as 'or', and * as 'and',
> > operating on Boolean matrices,
> > and having result, X, and Y be the exact same matrix,
> > updated while being used,
> > gives the traditional Warshall transitive-closure
> > algorithm, if the loops are nested exactly in thie order.
>
> nice.
>
> we'd need a triple boolean logic
> instruction to do it... oh wait! the ternary instruction!
>
> this can handle 3 operands in with all possible permutations of all
> possible boolean logic combinations between 3 operands.
>
> > And probably a truckload of read-write conflicts.
>
> the priority is i j on the result as inner loops, so it's ok.

Rearranging and inserting a branch,

    for k in range(len(Y)):       # ydim2
        for i in range(len(X)):              # ydim1
           if X[i][k]
              for j in range(len(Y[0])):        # xdim2
                 result[i][j] += Y[k][j]

we arrive at a formulation that allows collapsing the boolean
array into 64-bit words in the j-direction.  I suspect this
is also a speed-up, but one that doesn't mesh well with
collapsing multiple loops into a single instruction.

-- hendrik