[Libre-soc-dev] mmu unit test

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 22:37:13 GMT 2021

> On Feb 21, 2021, at 08:37, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 08:46:31PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:15 PM Richard Wilbur <richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> quod erat demonstrandum (Q.E.D.)
>>
>> *grumble* what's the world coming to.  join up, they said.  see the
>> world, they said.  people start talking latin at you.  what's next -
>> shakespeare?
>
> Credit where credit is due.  Here's the original:
>
>    ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
>        -- Εὐκλείδης

Hendrik,

Hear, hear!  I’m not as good with  Ἑλληνική as Latin, although I’ve gotten a lot of good use from their alphabet in the setting of mathematics and physics.  We even used some characters from the Hebrew alphabet when we ran out of symbols for concepts.

Given my history, I have never studied the use of diacritic marks in either Greek or Hebrew and I take after post-Renaissance mathematicians and philosophers Galileo, Spinoza, Barrow, and Newton in using a Latin translation of Euclid’s phrase.

Nice rendering of the Greek, though.  I didn’t know you could type in all those diacritics and transmit them via E-mail.  I guess I underestimated the power of unicode!  I’ve studied a little Latin and, more recently, a bit of German and Spanish.  In what I’ve seen they do more decorating of their alphabet than English or Latin, but nowhere near as much as Greek or Hebrew.

Richard