[Libre-soc-dev] Vulkan video beta published

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 17:29:33 BST 2021

Seems like something we should eventually implement:
https://www.khronos.org/blog/an-introduction-to-vulkan-video

They currently have core codec-independent extensions, as well as decode
for h.265 and encode/decode for h.264. They have not yet released
extensions for decoding/encoding VP9 or AV1, but they plan to soon.

I'd expect that the other video decode/encode APIs can be efficiently
implemented in terms of the new Vulkan extensions, avoiding needing to
re-implement the decoder/encoder algorithms & SimpleV acceleration for
every different video API.