[Libre-soc-dev] 3d gpu business plan

Lauri Kasanen cand at gmx.com
Tue Dec 29 17:45:18 GMT 2020

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 10:43:52 +0000
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> > Any lead time they need they can do in parallel to our development,
> > thanks to the open development model.
>
> of the core: yes.  of the peripherals: no.  when i said "HDL takes
> 10-12 months to negotiate with suppliers" i was referring to the
> peripherals.  the time this takes - just the *negotiation with
> suppliers* is 10-12 months, Lauri.

A giant like Mediatek will have volume licensing and ready suppliers in
place, requiring no negotiation at all. Most things they'd have
in-house. It is a rather optimistic view that only a small player would
bother.

> there was no mention of "this is a perceived problem, i propose the
> following solution" or "this is a perceived problem, does anyone have a
> solution?"

"This is a problem and needs to be solved" is pretty much what I said.
Phrasing it to a question seems bikeshedding.

I did not propose a solution because I do not have one. That does not
mean I can't highlight a serious problem.

- Lauri