[libre-riscv-dev] PowerISA, NLNet grants

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jan 19 00:10:54 GMT 2020

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 11:51 PM <whygee at f-cpu.org> wrote:

> Hi Luke,
> your presence and replies are very appreciated :-)

:)

> On 2020-01-19 00:34, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > no, we are a commercial project with the goal to reach 100 million
> > units
> > and above.
> >
> > how can we reach 100 million units when we cannot even use the RISC-V
> > name
> > because the RISC-V Foundation fails to acknowledge reasonable requests
> > for
> > inclusion, under Trademark Law?
>
> I don't know...

yeah.  you don't.  you get laughed at.  "wtf?  these people are using the
name V-CSIR??  they claim "V-CSIR compatibility" just like the etnaviv
team?  and they want us to buy *how many*?? ahahaahahahahhhh!
ahahahahahahahhah"

> but then, I have a sincere concern about all the other "open source"
> projects that
> have started under the impression that it would be "really open".

https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/Fake_Open_Source

uh huh.  why do you think it's called a "libre" project, not an "open
source" project?

anyone who was running an "open source" project would have given up and
gone,
@begin deluded high-pitched-voice
"ohhh yeeesss i'll siiign the NDAAAA, thaaank you for access to aaalll the
priivate reeesourceeees i am prevented and prohibited from taaallkiing
aboouut"
@end delusional voice

> > what do you think the consequences would be of going to market, having
> > massive world-wide adoption, with "custom" instructions where OTHER
> > VENDORS
> > clash with those exact same custom instructions?
>
> It would highligt the problems of the Foundation.

no, it would be much worse than that.  forget the Foundation: remember what
happened with Altivec?  the clash between Altivec and the other Vector ISA
using the exact same opcodes - neither competing Vector ISA won.

why not?

because no developer would go near it, and neither would any of the gcc
developers.

> Now, you see why I embarked in the F-CPU saga 21 years ago.
> Unfortunately I can't propose it as a fallback plan :-/

:)

> And much of my presence here is also motivated by the need to understand
> what dangers the R5F poses to Free Software.

they're a honeytrap.  they're "Fake Open Source".  once you've signed the
Membership Agreement, you're done as far as Libre is concerned.