[libre-riscv-dev] [hw-dev] Re: 6600-style out-of-order scoreboard designs (ariane)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed May 15 18:15:16 BST 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 5:50 PM Mitchalsup <mitchalsup at aol.com> wrote:

> Looking at your schematic you sent, I comes to mind that the paths seem too long.

 yes, ok, so yosys graphviz schematics take a little getting used to:
latches are "loops", and anything else is just "renaming
opportunities".  new names for NETLISTs basically, due to inputs from
one module being the outputs used in another.  these name-changes can
be safely ignored.

 i'll redo a new (updated) schematic tomorrow, i've gone back to the
FU-only approach, am having better luck with it.  however i need to do
a big tidyup as it's a bit of a mess.

> You should have a block where on one side you get input signal vectors {Issue__FU,
> Go_Read_FU, and Go_Write_FU} These propagate through the SB and create the
> output vectors {FU_Busy, Readable, Writeable}.

 got this.  Readable is the subject of a post just now on hw-dev (soon
to be libre-riscv-dev)

> A Picker, then, selects the Readable
> vector and create the Go_Read vector which is flopped.

done.. wait... this is inside the FU?

> At the same time another
> picker selects the Writeable vector and creates the Go_Write vector.

 got that.

> Transitively, the Go_Write vector deasserts FU_Busy enabling Issue.

 got that.